Family Based Immigration

Download PDF

Family Based Immigration

Los Angeles Area Family Immigration Attorney

Whatever has brought you to the United States, you want to be here with the people that matter most: your family. At the California law offices of Nelson & Associates, we help families across the United States with their immigration law concerns. A fundamental goal of our firm is to bring families together in the United States and keep them together once they are here.

Immigration Solutions As Unique as You
Contact Nelson & Associates

Even in the context of an employment-based immigration case, we recognize that the primary concern of most of our clients is to provide better lives and opportunities for their families in the United States. Because of this, we offer a complete range of family-based immigration services, including:

  • Visa Petitions (Immigrant and non-immigrant visas)
  • Adjustment of Status Applications
  • Following to Join Applications
  • Adoption and Orphan Petitions
  • Consular Processing

The first step for most families is to secure the necessary visas. We will take a close look at your case and work diligently for you as you seek to obtain a visa for your Fiancé, spouse, mother, father, or children.

Family-Based Immigrant Visas (family green cards): Individuals can obtain legal permanent residency status (and ultimately, U.S. citizenship) through family-based immigrant visa sponsorship. Although immediate family members, such as spouses, unmarried minor children, or adopted children are granted legal permanent residency status without significant delay, other family-based immigrant visas are granted based upon a waiting period related to preference classifications (the relationship between the visa applicant and the sponsoring family member). Family based preference categories include:

  • F1: unmarried children of U.S. citizens
  • F2: spouses, minor children, and unmarried adult children of legal permanent residents
  • F3: Married children of U.S. citizens and their spouses and children
  • F4: Siblings of U.S. citizens and their spouses and children (permitted the sponsoring U.S. citizen is at least 21 years old)

Family-Based Non-Immigrant Visas: Temporary visas/nonimmigrant visas can also be obtained based upon relationship with a U.S. citizen. Temporary Fiancé visas are available for foreign nationals who plan to marry a U.S. citizen and temporary spouse visas are available to foreign nationals who have recently married a U.S. citizen and are awaiting processing of their green card.

Bring Your Family to the U.S.

At Nelson & Associates, we handle consular services for both family and employment-based immigration concerns.

In addition to our full range of U.S. immigration law services, our firm also offers a limited range of family law services, so that you have all the information you need to start your new life here in the United States.

Know more about International Student visas